[vlc-devel] Finer time resolution in VLC web interface (i.e. milliseconds)

Arslan, Ali ali_arslan at brown.edu
Mon Feb 13 07:31:09 CET 2012

Hi everyone,
I recently started using the http interface to sync vlc with matlab
(which was a recent question that I asked in this list).

Now I see that vlc sends out the time information in seconds. It's
nice to see the time elapsed in the video but I need a lot higher time
resolution.

In other words, I would like to interact with vlc in millisecond
resolution, or at least query the current playback time in
milliseconds.
This thread mentions that it was unimplemented at the time (in 2009):
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62393
I was wondering if there's any change in that feature.

I also suspect that start/stop commands given over http interface are
not instantaneous and are quantized to seconds (although I haven't
really tested that yet). Comments?

I guess I could somehow make use of the "frames shown" field, but a)
it increases cumulatively, b) I don't know how robust would that be to
codecs, glitches and so on...
Thanks!

--
Ali B Arslan, M.Sc.
Cognitive, Linguistic and Psychological Sciences