[vlc-devel] Untranslatable UI strings in HEAD

Juha Jeronen juha.jeronen at jyu.fi
Mon Feb 13 08:36:26 CET 2012

Hi,

On 11/02/12 16:46, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:45:40AM +0200, Juha Jeronen wrote :
>> Simple prefs:
>>
>>   - Input / Codecs > most choices in "x264 preset and tuning selection"
>> ("fast" and "slow" in presets are translatable; nothing else in either
>> presets or tunings is)
>>   - Input / Codecs > "x264 profile and level selection" > all choices
> Normal.

Ok, fine.

But for the record, this is inconsistent, since "fast" and "slow" in the
very same field get translated for some reason. Is there a known way to
fix this? It would be nice to have all the preset names either in
original English (C locale) or translatable.

(I tried looking at modules/codec/x264.c, but didn't see the preset
names there.)

>>   - Input/Codecs > Demux > DIRAC > "mc-blk-height"
> I do not see that.

Curious. Let's investigate...

In modules/codec/dirac.c, there's this part in the module descriptor
from line 250 onward (version 1.2.0-pre1):

---8<---8<---8<---

    add_integer( ENC_CFG_PREFIX ENC_MCBLK_WIDTH, -1,
                 ENC_MCBLK_WIDTH_TEXT, ENC_MCBLK_WIDTH_LONGTEXT, false )
    change_integer_range(-1, INT_MAX);

    add_integer( ENC_CFG_PREFIX ENC_MCBLK_HEIGHT, -1,
                 ENC_MCBLK_HEIGHT, ENC_MCBLK_HEIGHT_LONGTEXT, false )
    change_integer_range(-1, INT_MAX);

---8<---8<---8<---

Note ENC_MCBLK_WIDTH_TEXT vs. ENC_MCBLK_HEIGHT. Looking at the
definitions further above, the *_TEXT versions are gettext'd UI labels,
while the ones without _TEXT are internal labels for the code.

It would seem this is the problem I'm seeing? The internal label is used
as the UI label instead of the UI label.

Attached is a patch that fixes this, against 1.2.0-pre1. (Tested and works.)

>>   - Video > Filters > Gradfun > "Debanding algorithm"
> Fixed.

Thanks!

>>   - Audio > Output modules > ALSA > "Discard all samples (playback) or
>> generate zero samples (capture)"
> Normal.

Ok, so it comes from ALSA... I see. Let's just leave it then :)

>>   - Audio > SRC resampler > the setting values related of "Sample rate
>> converter
>> type"
> Fixed.

Thanks!