[vlc-devel] wiki/UnixCompile

Juha Jeronen juha.jeronen at jyu.fi
Tue Feb 14 12:04:25 CET 2012

Hi all,

I thought I'd ask first this time ;)

Some of the stuff at http://wiki.videolan.org/UnixCompile has not yet
been updated for 2.0. I'd like to update it.

Notably, VLC 2.0 and later does not seem to require any configure flags
due to autodetection, and the --with-live555-path option no longer
exists. A new short instruction for 2.0 is needed (just run
./configure), and the existing information should be labelled as
referring to 1.1 and older. Also, I'd like to add what Rémi just said
that the new contrib system autodetects what is needed.

I'll gladly update the page, but before I do so, what I'm not so sure of
is, is the statement below still current in 2.0?

So you need to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH correctly if your FFmpeg/libav
libraries are not installed at the default prefix (meaning /usr) or you
want to use static linking.

 -J