[vlc-devel] wiki/UnixCompile

Juha Jeronen juha.jeronen at jyu.fi
Wed Feb 15 09:05:22 CET 2012

On 14/02/12 13:11, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 13:04:25 +0200, Juha Jeronen <juha.jeronen at jyu.fi>
> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I thought I'd ask first this time ;)
>>
>> Some of the stuff at http://wiki.videolan.org/UnixCompile has not yet
>> been updated for 2.0. I'd like to update it.
> It has, mostly, actually.

Mostly, yes. But the configure stuff is still out of date.

>> Notably, VLC 2.0 and later does not seem to require any configure flags
>> due to autodetection,
> This is really not new.

Hmm. I had understood 1.1 did require them... this part needs to be
updated :)

When was it introduced? I searched git log from present up to 2007 and
couldn't find anything about this.

>> I'll gladly update the page, but before I do so, what I'm not so sure of
>> is, is the statement below still current in 2.0?
> In general, this is true whenever using a library not in the default
> search prefix, nor from VLC contribs. This is not specific to FFmpeg/libav.

Ok. This needs to be updated to say so :)

Thanks for the input!

In summary:

- configure does not require flags
- libraries that are not in the default prefix AND not in vlc contribs
must be known to pkg-config

Anything else?

 -J