[vlc-devel] Plugin downmix-to-stereo

Martin Zuther code at mzuther.de
Mon Feb 27 21:35:22 CET 2012

Hi!

I have written a channel mixer plugin that downward-mixes from 5.0/5.1
surround sound to two selectable stereo outputs while not changing the
number of channels.  I have done so as VLC automatically assumes that my
multiple-channel audio card (which I use for making music) is connected
to a 5.1 channel surround amplifier.  However, this is not the case, so
I miss all of the dialog in videos with 5.x surround sound.

Now, I can simply insert the channel mixer plugin that either does the
downward mixing (5.x surround sound using the official downward mixing
matrices given in ITU-R BS.775-2) or passes all audio channels (all
other channel matrices).

Unfortunately, I simply haven't got the time to create an official
patch.  Maybe one of you has the time to integrate this in the
repository.  Before writing the plugin, I have seen quite a few "I can't
hear the dialog in VLC" messages on the Internet, so it's probably worth
it.  The code is fully commented and runs fine in VLC 1.1.3 on Debian.
I have made the necessary changes to adapt the plugin to VLC 2.0 and the
code compiles, but due to an incompatible library that leads to
stuttering audio I can't really check it.

I have attached the code for VLC 2.0 to this email.  Feel free to
contact me if you have further questions.

Thanks for coding such a great player!

Martin
Germany
--