[vlc-devel] Lua extension and vlc.misc

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Tue Feb 28 20:52:01 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 09:46:18PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> Le mardi 28 février 2012 21:34:58 Jean-Baptiste Kempf, vous avez écrit :
> > How do you detect API breakage?
>
> I think you can test for nulity which is much cleaner and safer. Besides,
> you're not supposed to break the API. So far, we mostly removed buggy stuff.

And "useless" stuff that were used.

> Yeah but clutter is clutter. And sooner or later cargo cult will ensure that
> someone uses the function so it cannot be removed anymore. Better not add it
> in the first place.

But they _were_ added.

> > Disagree. How do you store temp files? How do you do SDs like windirs if
> > you do not have access to home?
>
> We don't have a serious plan on exposing Lua modules to the in-VLC Lua
> interpreter, so this point is totally moot.

It is not. cachedir is usefull.

> > The question is not about usage but dangerousity.
>
> I totally disagree.

I disagree with your disagreeing.

> I think so, but that's irrelevant. A bad way is a bad way and we have spent
> far too much effort removing polling. I am SO FED UP with this particular
> topic coming back all the time.

I am SO FED UP with breakage of VLC and users complaining.

> > > My opinion is that none of these should be exposed outside interfaces.
> >
> > But, they were exposed. And noone blocked that, before the releases.
>
> You're reinventing history for your convenience.
> I opposed merging the extensions in the first place.

But still, they went in.

> > Removing them because they seem useless is not enough.
>
> It is. I have had to deal with cruft for longer than you.

This is about breaking external scripts.

> > Blocking dangerous ones, sure.
> > Warning for bad ideas ones, if we provide a better way, and then
> > deprecating them, sure.
>
> Well, they're already removed then. Problem solved.

No.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734