[vlc-devel] Lua extension and vlc.misc

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Tue Feb 28 21:10:20 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:05:51PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> Since when does v.o offer external plugins for download?

It can.

> We do have site for extension. People are quite right to expect that
> extensions cannot harm their systems if they get them from v.o, just like they
> expect vetted Firefox extension and modile phone apps not to harm them.

And yet, many Firefox/Mobile phone extensions are evil and are published
on the websites/appstore/marketplaces. And removed afterwards.

> There are only two ways to do that:
> - review (not applicable to a volunteer organisation),
> - sandboxing.
>
> I advocated sandboxing *before* someone else went and merged the then bug-
> ridden extension code without any thinking on security aspects. Someone just
> pushed this through not long before the release, because it was so cool and so
> urgent to get it in.

Whatever, I am not going to fight over the past.
How do we expose a cache directory then?

Best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734