[vlc-devel] Plugin downmix-to-stereo

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Feb 29 08:30:34 CET 2012

    Hello,

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 22:53:36 +0100, Martin Zuther <code at mzuther.de> wrote:
>> Normally, the simple channel mixer will automatically downmix to
>> stereo or mono as needed.
>
> I know.  The automatic downmix doesn't work for me, though.  I guess
> that VLC (or the "jackd" output plug-in) only looks for the number of
> available output channels of the sound card (that is 10 for me).  There
> is no way to tell VLC that I actually use my sound card as
> multiple-stereo outputs.

Either your JACK server is misconfigured (I don't know JACK), or there is
a bug somewhere most probably in the VLC JACK output plugin. Sorry, but I
don't want to have two plugins doing the same with different code in
slightly different conditions. Remixing is already a big enough mess[1] in
VLC as things stand.

If you think your code is better than the existing simple mixer, you're
free to propose a patch to replace it. At the very least, the filter
callback ought to be identical, unless I miss something.

[1] Anyone understands precisely how i_original_channels is supposed to
work?

http://www.remlab.net/