[vlc-devel] The case for 2.0

Ludovic Fauvet etix at videolan.org
Sat Jan 7 13:19:34 CET 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I strongly believe that we should rename VLC 1.2, aka Twoflower, as 2.0.
>
> First, that would be to match "Twoflower" name :)
>
> Then, VLC 1.2 is way beyond and different from 1.1... We have closed
> more than 10% of the bugs on the bugtracker during this long period.
> So many things have changed, that a stronger rupture should be done,
> IMVHO.
>
> Then, it is more simple for users to understand than our scheme.
>
> Then, we have a scheme of one stable/one trunk, so we only need x.y as a
> numbering.
>
> Then, the change to LGPL of libVLC is quite important.

No objection either but a major version often implies a major visual
refresh from a user perspective. This is indeed true for the Mac
version (which is very nice btw) but the Qt one is still lacking many
improvements. Most complaints about VLC are related to its interface:
not appealing, too complicated, ... and people will be expecting a
better user experience from a 2.0 but I might be wrong.

My 2.0 cents.

--
Ludovic Fauvet