[vlc-devel] Legality of App Signing binaries...

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Jan 11 10:08:11 CET 2012

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 00:05:08 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
> It happens that I can get access to a Certificate for Binaries signing
> for Win32 executables...
>
> Does anyone has some good information about the legality of this,
> regarding the GPLv2 compat?

It boils down to whether the signature is part of the source code as it is
defined by GPLv2.
I find the terminology quite ambiguous and I am not aware of any court
ruling on that topic.

I would guess that the signature is part of the source code if it is
necessary to rebuild the executable such that it executes the same way.

http://www.remlab.net/