[vlc-devel] WMV2 timestamp positioning problem in vlc-1.2.0-pre4

zhu shi song zhushisongzhu at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 06:13:06 CET 2012

    I use vlc-1.2.0-pre4 to test some WMV2 videos, I find that vlc 1.2 can't position timestamp correctly when I seek the video.

    The defect causes two unpleasant consequences of user experience:

    1、From user's view, he will be confused by the player because it can't reach the presicely correct position he has specified.

    2、The video can't be partially transcoded correctly because -start-time has been changed inside vlc when user passes the value to it.

    I doubt the problem is from ffmpeg.  I test the video using ffplay.  It has the same problem.  I report it to ffmpeg bug track.  Cehoyos responsed the problem with the following words:
' For most videos, media players can only seek to keyframes ("I-frames"),
they cannot seek to non-keyframes (all other frames), if they seem to
allow to seek to non-keyframes, they do it by seeking further back and
not displaying the frames in-between (this can be different for H264,
but your sample is WMV2)' .
I wonder whether  TS has the same mechnanism with WMV2.  If  vlc 1.2  can now control timestamp of TS video correctly, it  should  fix the problem in WMV2 seeking problem.