[vlc-devel] mpris.vlc dbus location

Mirsal Ennaime mirsal at videolan.org
Sat Jan 14 05:27:13 CET 2012

Hello Kevin,

On Fri, 2012-01-13 at 17:09 -0500, Kevin Anthony wrote:
> I would like to extend the functionality of the dbus interface, add
> the ability to fullscreen on/off,

You will have to define a vlc-specific interface for that because the
mpris does not define such a method.

If it's useful, I shall propose it for inclusion in a future version of
the mpris.

> and skip foward 5sec, back 5sec.

VLC already implements the org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Seek method
which takes an offset in microseconds as an argument. A positive value
will seek forward, while a negative one will seek backwards.

> But i can't find the area in the code where the dbus functions are
> actually defined.  Can someone point me in the correct direction?

Sure, the dbus module is located in modules/control/dbus and each
interface implementation is written in a separate .c/.h file pair.
You should add the new interface definition / implementation in separate
files.

I would advise you to propose and discuss the fullscreen feature on the
mpris mailing list at mpris at lists.freedesktop.org before extending the
mpris in VLC.

Cheers,

--