[vlc-devel] Building from GIT: libaccess_bd_plugin.ver:2: syntax error in VERSION script

Benjamin Vanheuverzwijn bvanheu at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 18:38:50 CET 2012

Hey,

I tried to build VLC from GIT but there is an error in the
"libaccess_bd_plug.ver" file.

I guess it's a problem with my linux distro configuration (Arch Linux
up-to-date), but if you can give me some pointer where to look, i would be
grateful.

Some version:
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.68
automake (GNU automake) 1.11.2
m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.16

Here is what i've done:

$ git pull
Already up-to-date.
$ ./bootstrap
[...]
Successfully bootstrapped
$ ./configure
[...]

$ ./compile
version               : 1.3.0-git
system                : linux
architecture          : i686 mmx sse sse2
optimizations         : yes
vlc aliases           : cvlc rvlc qvlc svlc nvlc

To build vlc and its plugins, type `./compile' or `make'.
$ ./compile
MAKE     : bd
/usr/bin/ld:.libs/libaccess_bd_plugin.ver:2: ignoring invalid character `1'
in script
/usr/bin/ld:.libs/libaccess_bd_plugin.ver:2: ignoring invalid character `5'
in script
/usr/bin/ld:.libs/libaccess_bd_plugin.ver:2: ignoring invalid character
`\010' in script
*/usr/bin/ld:.libs/libaccess_bd_plugin.ver:2: syntax error in VERSION script
*
*
*
Here is the file in question
(modules/access/bd/.libs/libaccess_bd_plugin.ver):
{ global:

  15    ^H:vlc_entry__1_2_0k;

  16    ^H:vlc_entry_copyright__1_2_0k;

  17    ^H:vlc_entry_license__1_2_0k;

*Obviously those "15   ^H" shouldn't be there, but i'm not sure how the
".ver" files are generated.*
*
*
Thanks for your time!