[vlc-devel] What program is used to create xpm files?

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 22:10:37 CET 2012

Folks,

I am converting a few images into xpm format to be used in vlc. I am using "convert" utility to convert these images:

   $ convert myimg.png myimg.xpm.

Although the generated xpm file seem to work, I see hundreds of warnings during make:

warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]

When I examine checked-out xpm file such as vlc.xpm, I see the first few lines as:

/* XPM */
static const char *const vlc_xpm[] = {
/* width height ncolors chars_per_pixel */
"32 32 144 2",
/* colors */
"AA c #9A9A32320202",

However, the ones I generated using the convert utility has:

* XPM */
static char *bizimg_xpm[] = {
/* columns rows colors chars-per-pixel */
"32 32 167 2",
"   c #1A1A17",
".  c #1B1B17",

I am wondering if there is a different utility that is being used to generate xpm files under vlc or if I just need some extra options on the convert utility.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter