[vlc-devel] [VLC] #5901: Vlc becomes unresponsive

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Jan 24 21:00:14 CET 2012

Le lundi 23 janvier 2012 10:41:22 VLC, vous avez écrit :
> #5901: Vlc becomes unresponsive
> -----------------------------+--------------------------
>    Reporter:  locutusofborg  |        Owner:  courmisch
>        Type:  defect         |       Status:  new
>   Component:  Core           |      Version:  master git
>    Severity:  major          |     Keywords:  vlc u
>  Difficulty:  easy           |  Platform(s):  all
> Work status:  Not started    |
> -----------------------------+--------------------------
>  Version: 2.1.0~~git20120119+r1128-0~r55~oneiric1
>  (taken from trunk built by ppa's videolan daily archive)
>
>  vlc becomes unresponsive
>
>  step to reproduce:
>
>  1) open a video in vlc
>  2) delete video from hdd, vlc continue playing it until it get closed
>  3) before the end of the video put on the "loop all button"
>
>  expected:
>  vlc gives a error and stop
>  what happens:
>  vlc gives an infinite loop and you have to kill it manually.

This issue is not new. VLC busy loops if the playlist only contains short or
invalid items - this is not really a bug. But that makes the UI unresponsive.

In my opinion, the real problem is that dialog_Fatal() does not wait. I do not
really understand why there is a distinction between dialog_Fatal() and
dialog_FatalWait(). I also do not understand how to determine which one to
use.

That being noted, replacing dialog_Fatal() with dialog_FatalWait() only makes
the problem worse, as the error dialog is modal on Qt. Then the UI becomes
totally unusable instead of mostly unresponsive.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis