[vlc-devel] report from the Win32 front

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun Jan 29 20:31:05 CET 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 08:14:25PM +0100, John Freed wrote :
> 1) upgrading to Qt 4.8
> Fedora 16 uses Qt 4.8. I had hoped I could fool MOC into using the 4.7.4
> libs, but failed. Not wanting to downgrade to Qt 4.7 (essentially moving
> back to Fedora 15) and too lazy to use a virtual machine, I upgraded my
> contribs to Qt 4.8. I figured VLC will eventually move there anyhow, so why
> not try? The good news is, this required only a couple of tiny patches to
> work. I'll be happy to submit if you want.

We will move to Qt 4.8 eventually, but, I would prefer to avoid .0
releases of Qt, because of the issual issue we have in those releases.

> 2) building using Mingw32 under Fedora
> It was necessary to
> set PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=../contrib/i686-pc-mingw32/lib/pkgconfig for building
> both the vlc.exe binary and the installation package. I'll note that in the
> Fedora build wiki page.
Cool.

> There was a new error introduced that did not appear in the Linux build.
> Specifically, the mingw compiler barfed at this line in
> modules/gui/qt4/components/playlist/playlist_model.cpp:
> const PlMimeData *plMimeData = qobject_cast<const PlMimeData*>( data );
> This needed to be changed to reinterpret_cast. (Same problem
> in modules/gui/qt4/components/playlist/selector.cpp.) After that, the build
> went fine.

Those are wrong, I think. PLMimeData derives from QMimeData derives from
QObject. Then, we should use qobject_cast.

> 3) building the win32 installation package.
> Even with the correct PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR, "make package-win-common"
> complained that it could not find LIBVLC. I'm guessing there is some
> interim problem with the build process or there is a workaround used on the
> buildbot machine. In any case, I found the .pc file and tried to tell
> pkg-config to use it, but that didn't work for me, so I manually set the
> CFLAGS and LIBS environment variables as follows:
>
> LIBVLC_CFLAGS=-I/usr/src/winvlc/win32/_win32/include
> LIBVLC_LIBS="-L/usr/src/winvlc/win32/_win32/lib -lvlc" make
> package-win-common
>
> /usr/src/winvlc/win32/ is the directory I was building from, so these are
> in the _win32/include and _win32/lib relative directories.

For npapi?

> ONE final problem, that's finding the two files libstdc++-6.dll and
> libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll
>
> The file Makefile.in in the build root directory uses this formula to find
> them:
>
> gcc_lib_dir=`$(CXX) -v /dev/null 2>&1 | grep ^LIBRARY_PATH|cut -d= -f2|cut
> -d: -f1`
>
> A couple of observations: 1) the current nightly builds don't include those
> files, so I suspect they're not being found even by the VLC buildbots, 2)
> that formula does not produce the location specified in Fedora.

You should not use those dlls at all for VLC. They give a lot of
problems and headaches when releasing and when using libVLC application.

The NB do not have it, because this is statically linked, as it should.

Best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734