[vlc-devel] report from the Win32 front

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Mon Jan 30 00:43:45 CET 2012

Le 2012-01-29 16:14, Rafaël Carré a écrit :

> When I asked mingw-w64 developers about it they gave me good reasons to
> not use C++ static linking (with exceptions?).
>
> I don't remember them at the moment but either:
>
> - it's a mingw-w64 specific problem
> - you don't know what you're talking about
> - debian mingw-w64 package is buggy and/or we need to force auto* to
> link statically
> - probably other options
>
> No idea which one it is but input is welcome.

Seems the problem with static linking is only exceptions thrown through
DLL boundaries so effectively we should use static linking:

18:37 < jon_y> funman: mixing libgcc and libstdc++ version will break
things too
18:37 < jon_y> stick to the same toolchain please, especially when C++
is involved
18:37 < funman> well we can't do that
18:37 < jon_y> why not?
18:38 < funman> we can't go behind each developer using libvlc.dll and
tell them which compiler to use
18:38 < jon_y> well, you do now
18:38 < funman> even if we built statically?
18:39 < funman> remember we don't expose any C++ code
18:39 < jon_y> you could get away with building statically
18:39 < funman> does it cause problems, except not supporting exceptions
through DLL boundaries?
18:39 < jon_y> but remember, templates between gcc versions may differ too
18:40 < jon_y> so you may end up requiring to use the proper gcc version
to actually link right
18:40 < funman> hm but libvlc C++ modules and application would each use
their own template ?
18:40 < funman> libvlc has no C++
18:40 < funman> it loads DLLs which have though
18:40 < jon_y> I suppose thats fine
18:40 < funman> but those DLLs are not exposed through libvlc.dll