[vlc-devel] report from the Win32 front

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jan 30 08:41:20 CET 2012

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 16:14:07 -0500, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>
wrote:
>> You should not use those dlls at all for VLC. They give a lot of
>> problems and headaches when releasing and when using libVLC
application.

>> The NB do not have it, because this is statically linked, as it should.
>
> When I asked mingw-w64 developers about it they gave me good reasons to
> not use C++ static linking (with exceptions?).

Nah. You would not want to link a C++ dynamic library statically with
libstdc++. But LibVLC, libvlccore and the VLC plugins all are C libraries.
I mean, I do realize that some plugins contain C++ code, but their external
interface has C linkage.

In particular, C++ objects are never passed across DLL boundaries. So
there should be no need to ensure image uniqueness of the C++ run-time;
there should not be any kind of consistency issue. Linking the C++ run-time
statically should thus be fine, albeit inefficient.

http://www.remlab.net/