[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Mark --language as obsolete

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Jul 13 10:46:38 CEST 2012

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:41:14 +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 10:08:55AM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
>> They should change their user locale. Windows allows the user locale to
>> differ from the system locale, just like say, KDE.
>
> Sorry, but I strongly disagree with this change.

Sorry but I disagree with your redefinition a posteriori of the use of an
option.

> What makes sense on Linux, does not always make sense on Windows and
> MacOS.
>
> Windows locales are very confusing (4 different settings), do not
support
> all the languages we have, and are difficult to set-up, not to mention
that
> you need to be admin to change some settings.

The same is true on all platforms. Also the implementation was buggy and
the choice list maintainance time-consuming and error-prone.

Besides, I know very well what it is to work in multilingual environment.
Because I do just that. That option is just plain wrong: the only
functional place to put it is at first start. If you have ever tried to
change the language of an HID after the fact (again, I have), you would
know that VLC preferences simply do not work.

> Please, revert.

No. If you want the ability to fork the language from the OS, then please
implement it correctly. This was just a hack and it is no longer needed as
far as it was a hack.

Sent from my collocated server