[vlc-devel] Unusable locales (was Another release)

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jul 16 20:10:29 CEST 2012

Le lundi 16 juillet 2012 20:20:28 Rémi Denis-Courmont, vous avez écrit :
> Le mardi 10 juillet 2012 14:09:35 Rafaël Carré, vous avez écrit :
> > Gaelic was added to supported languages (the translator was a bit pissed
> > off that it wasn't present in 2.0.2), and this affects Windows too.
>
> Even Debian does _not_ support Gaelic as a locale.
>
> I wonder why that locale was even included in LINGUAS.

Since they are not in 'iso-codes', those locales are of dubious usefulness:
ach, cgg, ckb, co, ff, fur, gd, kmr, lg, tet.

But there is worse. Those locales are not even known to glibc 2.13 at all, so
they can not be used: ach, cgg, ckb, co, kmr & tet.

I don't claim that Debian covers the universal superset of all languages
available in computing. But a basic level of system support should be a
prerequisite to get into LINGUAS, IMHO.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis