[vlc-devel] The quantization parameter QP in x264.c

Ilkka Ollakka ileoo at videolan.org
Fri Jul 27 15:17:24 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 01:13:42PM +0100, Moad Toutou wrote:
> Hi,
> Thank you for your reply. In fact, i'm more interested in the  decoding video process, the coding is not my priority. for example: playing a video. I would like to evaluate the quantization parameter QP priodically
> for example:
> I start playing a video "toto.flv" with VLC and even when playing the file with vlc, we'll show on the console the quantization  paramaitre QP.

> In X264.c file, there is a large structure:

x264.c only does encoding, we decode most of the codecs using
libavformat. So you should read that code instead of vlc code if you
want to actually see how h264 etc are decoded from bitstream.

> in this structure, there is the variable "qp", but it is not calculated.  do you have an explanation?

It's encoding option and optionally given by user.

--
Ilkka Ollakka
Due to a shortage of devoted followers, the production of great leaders