[vlc-devel] Broken Amazon S3 Streaming

Frederic YHUEL fyhuel at viotech.net
Mon Jun 18 22:02:20 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Francois Cartegnie <fcvlcdev at free.fr> wrote:

> Le 18/06/2012 20:36, Laurent Aimar a écrit :
> >> Annoying, as S3 is a major CDN.
> >> Can't change things to flag the input as seekable when "Accept-Range"
> >> is
> >> replied ?
> >  The current http access shoud already do this (I have only check
> > master).
>
> Okay, you're right, there's already fix in http.c.
>
> The problem comes from the mp4 demux which queries for FASTSEEK
>    /* I need to seek */
>    stream_Control( p_demux->s, STREAM_CAN_FASTSEEK, &b_seekable );
>    if( !b_seekable )
>    {
>        msg_Warn( p_demux, "MP4 plugin discarded (not fastseekable)" );
>        return VLC_EGENERIC;
>    }
>
> which is always false in http.
>
>        case ACCESS_CAN_FASTSEEK:
>            pb_bool = (bool*)va_arg( args, bool* );
>            *pb_bool = false;
>            break;
>

> Changed from SEEK to FASTSEEK in: 45f7ca3d6cff34b10f2cf314c15fca9066e8ccf8
> Ilkka ?

IMO, FASTSEEK is not necessary, and it is obviously not possible for a
*live* DASH or Smooth Streaming stream anyway.

But maybe I did not understand properly what FASTSEEK means. I guess that:

- SEEK is the capability to seek "locally" in the stream within a
short period of time.
- FASTSEEK is the capability to seek anywhere in the stream within a
short period of time.

Is that right? Is there a more precise definition?

--
Best regards
Frédéric