[vlc-devel] how to get the original encoded video without decoding?

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at videolan.org
Fri Jun 22 10:28:57 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 5:34 AM, Seven Du <dujinfang at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to make a video output module to return the original bytes(no
> decode at all), or something already exists?

You cannot retreive the original movie (as was recorded in the studio)
after encoding. The whole process of encoding throws away detail.
An encoded movie can be displayed after decoding.

> I used  libvlc_video_set_format(context->mp, "YUYV", 352, 288, 288 * 2) can
> get YUYV and looks like no chroma I can use to get the original
> encoded(whatever) bytes.

You need to decode the movie into pictures first. After decoding it is
possible to change the chroma in which it will be displayed or saved
to disk.

Kind regards,
Jean-Paul Saman