[vlc-devel] Mingw32 build problems: Dash, Skins2 and libstdc++

Chris Smowton cs448 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 26 19:20:03 CEST 2012

On 26/06/2012 17:33, Chris Smowton wrote:
> On 26/06/2012 08:44, Rafaël Carré wrote:
>> Try to build gcc with --disable-shared
> So I hacked around the previous problem by manually running libtool
> with -static, which worked. However I found that the package produced
> at the end of the day had a lot of broken modules, mostly because they
> included dependencies on libstdc++-6.dll and some libgcc DLLs.
>
> I'll try a rebuilding mingw64 with --disable-shared as you suggest.
> Since it appears to be the default for mingw64 trunk to use a shared
> runtime where possible, and the VLC packaging mechanism seems to make
> no attempt to distribute the MinGW C/C++ runtime, should the page
> http://wiki.videolan.org/Win32Compile mention that restriction?
I can confirm the GCC build option fixed matters. It seems that switch
is sparsely documented, least of all by the GCC team themselves, but it
appears to do what I'd hope, i.e. statically link the CRT (and
libstdc++) into built programs whilst continuing to permit them to
depend dynamically on libvlc.dll, Windows core DLLs and so on.

One problem remains: after that rebuild, almost all modules work except for:

[0055b428] main libvlc warning: cannot load module `c:\Program Files
(x86)\VideoLan\VLC-git\plugins\gui\libqt4_plugin.dll' (Invalid access to
memory location. (error 998))
[0055b428] main libvlc warning: cannot load module `c:\Program Files
(x86)\VideoLan\VLC-git\plugins\meta_engine\libtaglib_plugin.dll'
(Invalid access to memory location. (error 998))
[0055b428] main libvlc warning: cannot load module `c:\Program Files
(x86)\VideoLan\VLC-git\plugins\visualization\libprojectm_plugin.dll'
(Invalid access to memory location. (error 998))

Dependency Walker doesn't suggest those plugins have anything
particularly wrong with them. Fortunately I don't care about the QT GUI,
but do you have any idea why this might happen? Debugging the error is
tricky when my build machine and target machine are so far removed!