[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Link vlc-cache-gen with the C++ standard library to avoid issues when we

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Mar 1 08:53:36 CET 2012

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:38:45 -0500, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>
wrote:
> Le 2012-02-29 18:24, Sam Hocevar a écrit :
>> vlc | branch: master | Sam Hocevar <sam at hocevar.net> | Wed Feb 29
>> 20:53:07 2012 +0100| [07d38617832be934896fa7a14fe52f1a65c901ab] |
>> committer: Sam Hocevar
>>
>> Link vlc-cache-gen with the C++ standard library to avoid issues when
we
>> dlclose() a C++ plugin that was built with a faulty library that may
have
>> registered __cxa_atexit callbacks (usually through the libstdc++ that
>> library was built with).
>>
>> Upgrading libstdc++ is not always a solution since some code may have
>> been
>> inlined and we can't get rid of it.
>
> Isn't that needed for vlc as well?

That's not needed for anything at all. It makes no sense.

Some ports of Debian have broken libraries. That's their problem and this
hack does not belong in the VLC tree. Not to mention that build system
changes are supposed to be discussed on this mailing list first.

> And all programs using libvlc/libvlccore

Exactly. And that makes this hack all the stupider.

> I think we already have something to prevent dlclosing faulty libraries.

There are many (other) ways to hack around this: comment out dlclose(),
call _exit() instead of exit() or return-from-main(). None of these hacks
belong in upstream VLC IMHO.

http://www.remlab.net/