[vlc-devel] Tagging 2.0.1...

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 4 02:42:13 CET 2012

On 04.03.2012, at 02:08, Brad Smith wrote:

> On 02/03/12 9:01 AM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
>> Probably next thursday...
>>
>> Please warm up your patches...
>
> IMO unless the OS X/PPC regressions are fixed this is a pretty
> big showstopper for the release.

In case you are referring to the "audio needs more CPU time than video for decoding" problem: this affects quite a few users, also on Windows and other devices when using older CPUs, even a Core2Duo. Of course, this is going to be solved in one way or another (afair, the way to fix this isn't decided yet).

There is another regression, which affects a certain number of at 8 to 9 years old PowerPC-based Macs: red stripes across the video.. Well, this is due to an incompatibility with the ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 and ATI Radeon 7500 cards used in small number of devices [1]. We got absolutely no testing devices, so I don't think it realistic to have a fix for this in time for VLC 2.0.1. Due to the small number of affected users [2], IMO, it isn't reasonable to push back the release for this either.

Best regards,

Felix

[1] 1st and 2nd generation iBook G4 (PowerBook6,3, PowerBook6,5), the entry level model of the original Power Mac G4 "QuickSilver" (PowerMac3,5), and the 2nd generation eMac (PowerMac4,4).
[2] Only 2 per cent of VLC's downloads for the Mac account for the PowerPC package and it's reasonable to assume the vast majority of these users use a way more recent PowerPC Mac.