[vlc-devel] Volume change lag fix for OS X CoreAudio [auhal]

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:54:44 CET 2012

On 05.03.2012, at 15:42, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 09:32:15 +0100, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 02:25:39 -0600, Jon Stacey <jon at jonsview.com> wrote:
>>> 2. I don't think CoreAudio is thread safe, but I think we're good here
>>> since we're outside the render callback.
>>
>> How so?
>
> Unless CoreAudio is thread-safe _or_ I missed some trick, this is a bug.

The AudioUnit API (a subset of CoreAudio) used by the code in question is thread-safe. At least Apple says so. Thus, it's reasonable to assume that they don't lie about this.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#DOCUMENTATION/MusicAudio/Conceptual/AudioUnitHostingGuide_iOS/AudioUnitHostingFundamentals/AudioUnitHostingFundamentals.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009492-CH3-SW5

(this is a link to the iOS documentation - the API for the Mac is exactly the same whatsoever)

Best regards,

Felix