[vlc-devel] 2.0.0 and resampling

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Mar 7 18:51:40 CET 2012

Le mercredi 7 mars 2012 19:32:35 Rémi Denis-Courmont, vous avez écrit :
> As we can see, the usage has actually gone _down_ from VLC 1.1 defaults.

So this is my favorite theory at this point: The (band-limitted) resampler was
normally not computing. When VLC triggered resampling it was slower than ti is
now. The key difference, as Raphaël observed for Android some time ago, is
that we are now resampling continuously to avoid audible glitches.

There are other theories.

It could affect Windows only or contribs only due to some as yet unknown
issue. There are however strong suspicions that the problem also affects Linux
distributions. That theory is very weak.

Or maybe people got used to the workaround in VLC 1.1.8 onward whereby the
band-limited resampler was disabled due to crashes. Or maybe crappy x86
processors became more prevalent recently.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis