[vlc-devel] Base for VLC ports (was Re: bluray: Add support for overlay)

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Mar 9 17:48:36 CET 2012

Le jeudi 8 mars 2012 20:52:28 Rémi Denis-Courmont, vous avez écrit :
> Le jeudi 8 mars 2012 20:43:51 Rafaël Carré, vous avez écrit :
> > It's not really the point because so far there is only one patch for VLC
> > (for pthread_cancel)
>
> A pthread_cancel patch was posted ages ago. It was not just ugly. It was
> wrong and full of bugs or undefined behaviours. If you have any
> self-respect as programmer, you don't publish that with your name on it.
> If you have respect for your (prospective) users, you don't release that.

Regretably, some people seem to have misinterpreted this statement.

I am referring to the version of the patch that was posted on *this* mailing
list many months ago. I do not even know how it has evolved or not since then.
As far as I recall, it was posted by one of the ECP students that was not
himself the original author of the patch. It was also never released to normal
users (through, say, the Android market) since VLC was never released for
Android.

My comments about self-respect were present conditionnal, in other words
unreal, or at least they were intended to be.

For the record, I do maintain that the original patch had a number of bugs,
and that it should not be included in releases, in the event that it still has
not have been fixed.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis