[vlc-devel] Implementing crop using the current vout API

David Fuhrmann david.fuhrmann at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 10 19:42:08 CET 2012

Hi,

Some time ago, I browsed through the code as well in order to find the reason why crop does not work on mac.
All opengl vouts for other platforms seem to work flawlessly with crop. When I looked at the code for the linux opengl vout, I came to the conclusion that the results of all calls to placePicture (and similar) are only used for other vout variants, but not for the opengl one.

Therefore, as far as I understood, crop seems to be already implemented in opengl.c and works fine for other platforms.

Furthermore I noticed that when I have some crop ratio and set and I slowly resize the main window, the vout sometimes flickers between the distorted and the correctly cropped picture in a short time period. Because of this observation, I think that some crop is done actually, but it is wrongly rendered in some way.

But I have no knowledge on opengl, so I cannot help much further. Perhaps they are some ideas from the authors of opengl.c for this issue?

With best regards,
David