[vlc-devel] HttpLive: ChooseSegment function

Robert Forsman bob.forsman at ericsson.com
Mon Mar 12 15:27:46 CET 2012

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 08:06:33 -0400
Jean-Paul Saman <jpsaman at videolan.org> wrote:

> The HLS httplive module makes some choices that could need an option,
> so that the user can choose where to start. For instance:
> - start with high quality stream (or low quality stream)

The super-fancy elite solution would be to memorize the bandwidth you
got the last time you connected to a particular IP or network range.

A simpler alternative could be to just have an option that specifies a
ceiling for the starting bandwidth.  You pick the highest bandwidth
option that is <= the ceiling, or the lowest bandwidth available if
none of the options are <=ceiling.

Once the connection is started the adaptation logic would take over and
adjust the session to the ACTUAL bandwidth.

... unless you want to have a hard rate limit to be nice to your
housemates.  We don't want to cripple Stan's Halo match, eh?