[vlc-devel] DASH specific MP4 boxes

Frederic YHUEL fyhuel at viotech.net
Thu Mar 15 09:27:58 CET 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Robert Forsman
<bob.forsman at ericsson.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:43:37 -0400
> Frederic YHUEL <fyhuel at viotech.net> wrote:
>
>> 2012/3/14 Frederic YHUEL <fyhuel at viotech.net>:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Does anyone know where I can find the definition of DASH specific
>> > "sidx" and "tfdt" boxes?
>> >

>> Ok, they are described in a amendment of ISO/IEC 14496-12:2008 that
>> can be found there:
>>
>> www.3gpp.org/ftp/Inbox/LSs_from_external_bodies/ISO_IEC_JTC1_SG29_WG11/29n12310.zip
>

> The sidx box is mildly redundant.  I think all of the info can be
> computed from other boxes within moof and moov.  I welcome
> clarification.

My problem is that with this DASH content [1], the tfhd box doesn't
give a default sample duration, and the trun box doesn't give sample
durations either. So I was wondering if I could get the information
from DASH specific boxes.

For now, I use a hack, I divide the fragment duration by the number of
samples, I will see that later.

[1] http://www-itec.uni-klu.ac.at/ftp/datasets/mmsys12/ElephantsDream/MPDs/ElephantsDream_2s_isoffmain_DIS_23009_1_v_2_1c2_2011_08_30.mpd

Best Regards,

--