[vlc-devel] Dropping DRMS from the mp4 module

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Mar 19 09:11:05 CET 2012

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 22:58:38 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 07:12:51PM +0100, Frederic YHUEL wrote :
>> Well... it would be nice to be able to play iTunes videos with VLC.
>
> This DRMS support is for iTunes 7...

There is now evidence of a regression in VLC 2.0 that causes the DRMS code
to crash (at least 3 crash dumps on Launchpad already). I am a bit
surprised since there were not much changes.

I suspect the crash was introduced by the change of MD5 implementation.
But that would be The One Change that CANNOT BE REVERTED(tm) due to the
LGPL relicensing. I cannot procure a DRMS file legally, so I cannot
investigate this issue, even if it seems like I introduced the problem.

So I would recommend we remove the code ASAP and them "backport" the
removal to 2.0.2 as well.

Sent from my collocated server