[vlc-devel] pixel_bits and pixel_size ?

Juha Jeronen juha.jeronen at jyu.fi
Mon Mar 19 09:24:36 CET 2012

Hi (all),

On 19/03/12 09:33, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:12:13 +0200, Juha Jeronen <juha.jeronen at jyu.fi>
> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I think this info should be wikified. Suggestions for a good page to put
>> it on?
> I disagree. This is an internal programming detail that should be
> documented, sure, but in the source code comments (and possibly Doxygen)
> rather than in the wiki. In the wiki, it won't be found when it's needed.

That's also fine. The important part is getting the detail documented. I
have no particular interest in the wiki format specifically :)

I only suggested the wiki, because I'm under the impression that it is
the de-facto standard place to document stuff in the VLC project. I'm
neutral on whether doing it this way is good or bad.

> In fact, I'd argue that the developer documentation on the wiki should be
> converted to doxygen.

Mm, for detail type of material, this would be a clear advantage.

How about overview kind of material? For example, there is general
documentation on programming new modules, and new video filters.

There are also practical factors that I think need to be accounted for.
First, people may be already used to looking for documentation on the
wiki. Secondly, it's not very likely that anyone will go through all the
existing material, at least not in one go. I don't know how to manage a
transition of this size if we need one.

Finally, I'd like to hear what others think - specifically at least J-B
and Laurent?

 -J