[vlc-devel] Removal of ToLocale(Dup)

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Mar 19 21:48:21 CET 2012

	Hello,

On Windows, any use of ToLocale() or ToLocaleDup() is a bug. Either the VLC
file system wrappers or the Unicode variants of Win32 API must be used
instead. On other systems, ToLocale() is a no-op.

ToLocale() is still used in the following places:

1) CDDA, VCD, VCDX, dvdnav and dvdread. This breaks access to non-ANSI file
paths. This bug has been reported for dvdnav/dvdread so many times that I lost
track of it.

2) Skins2. This is not funny anymore. Bug #831 has been opened for more than
five years. I infer nobody cares about Skins2.

3) GnuTLS. Loading certificates from file system does not work on Windows.

4) gettext. Running VLC from non-ANSI path breaks localization on Windows.

Also through utf8_fprintf():

5) Command line help. Localized help is totally broken on Windows. Mind that
some locales are UTF-8 only...

6) Console logging.

7) M3U export.

This needs fixing. I might take care of M3U but that's about it. Windows port
maintenance is not exactly my dream free time activity.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis