[vlc-devel] text_style_t and font style

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 22 07:17:18 CET 2012

Ok. I think I found the problem.

When marquee text has to be displayed, the text renderer in VLC picks up whatever font that was previously used. So, if you "show media title on video start" checked, the media file name gets displayed first. Next, the marquee filter uses the same font to display the marquee text.

Alternatively, you can run the following command and see that the marquee text is working:

vlc --sub-filter=marq --video-title-show mymedia1.mp4

If you uncheck "show media title on video start," or run the following command, you will see that marquee text NEVER gets displayed:

vlc --sub-filter=marq --no-video-title-show mymedia1.mp4

Looks like there are two bugs in VLC:

1. VLC must not be dependent on video-title-show to display the marquee text.
2. Video-title-show picks up a different font based on the movie being played. This is a bit puzzling.

In my case, we cannot have video-title-show checked. I would appreciate it if anyone can suggest a workaround to get the marquee work.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter