[vlc-devel] Marquee does not work without showing video title...

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 23:03:35 CEST 2012

Folks,

There is a bug in vlc and I am trying to narrow down and understand how to fix it.

When the following command is run, the marquee text is displayed as expected:

vlc --sub-source="marq" --video-title-show myfile.mp4

However, if video title is not shown, the marquee does not get displayed:

vlc --sub-source="marq" --no-video-title-show myfile.mp4

Essentially, something gets triggered when the video title is shown.

I am wondering what could be going on. What would be a good place to
examine this? I put beakpoints in freetypc.c. The font is indeed getting created. I don't understand why the text is not getting displayed.

To overcome this problem, I am currently running marq as sub-source as well as sub-filter:

vlc --sub-source="marq" --sub-filter="marq" --no-video-title-show myfile.mp4

Although the terminal output says that marq could  be loaded as a filter, at least the subtitle gets displayed even when video title is not getting shown.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Peter