[vlc-devel] How to implement a filter that skips a portion of the movie?

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 21:22:53 CEST 2012

Folks,

My company is in the business of digitization of movies. The digitization process for a movie takes a few days. The final format is mp4.

Sometimes, when the movie is about to be released, we get a notice that some parts of the movie have been censored.  However, there is not enough time for us to re-encode the movie before releasing it.

As our digitized movie can only be played through VLC, I am thinking I might be able to write a module that tells VLC to skip certain frames. I am wondering how do I go about writing such a module. Is it a video filter that I need to create?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter