[vlc-devel] Update on the VLC project

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu May 3 23:24:40 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 11:27:41PM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> Yeah, blackmail is highly subjective.

Insults and slander too. But I think that if someone feels blackmailed
by someone else, this is an issue already.

> (...)
> > As you and I just agreed upon, the technical decision process is the
> > least of our problems. A technical arbitration committee wouldn't
> > help with the lack of orientation for PR/legal action, the lack of
> > orientation for technical developement, the lack of roadmap, the lack of
> > orientation for fostering our third-party developer community, and the
> > lack of management of personal (as in, not technical) conflicts.
>
> I don't disagree, and I presume JB neither. But I don't see this getting
> fixed. And if it gets fixed, in other words, if VLC gets proper sponsors,
> others will^Wmight complain that the process has been hijacked by some company
> that is not listening to the community, not open, whatever...

I am doing a lot on:
 - PR (Lemonde twice, lepoint, figaro, engadget, unixmen, etc...)
 - communication and SEO: the website has never had more traffic,
 - legal (Hadopi, DMCA, LCEN, DRM, patents)
 - partnerships (SF, Microsoft, AMD, nVidia, ATI, Intel, ADC)
 - support and help to newcomers
 - relicensing to get more corporate users around libVLC and such
 - starting a company to employ the core developers.

This is unfair.

> > The only thing that this
> > would achieve would be mitigating the tensions and harshness of the
> > "YES/NO discussions", by hiding them behind a phantom committee, which
> > is not the right solution for the right issue.
>
> Well, I think a committee, if it has the relevant people, would help keep
> developers honest. I mean, it will be much harder for a developer to steer the
> project to his/her own selfish ends if there is a committee and its decisions
> are public.

I agree on that.

> I too have my reserves about the effectiveness of the proposal. But I think we
> have to give it its chance at least. If that fails too, then you can always
> fork or quit.

I very agree on that.

Best regards,

--