[vlc-devel] Update on the VLC project

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri May 4 10:55:44 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 02:19:34AM +0200, Pierre Ynard wrote :
> I agree that there's a lot of action, I just don't see the orientation.

Because you do not listen or try to do it.
There are very clear orientation on legal, PR, communication and project
hosting since a couple of year from the non-profit.

> Getting more visibility is great but that seems like the obvious
> thing to do, same for shutting down scams. Okay for HADOPI, that's
> interesting; but I learned about it in the news. And take the appstore:

You did not try to learn about it, since we discussed it, on videolan@,
on asso@, at VDD and at FOSDEM.
Oh, and we have had 2 interns in the last 2 years on this problems, they
have written reports that are available, as we discussed at every
meeting.

Sorry, but if you do not invest yourself, I am not going to call you
everytime I do something. This is not VIA.

> development. Yeah, as you say, noone blocked me from proposing something
> about it, and that's just what I did back then; but people didn't
> follow up, nothing was decided and nothing was done. As several people
> acknowledged it lately, my speaking up alone isn't enough to accomplish
> something.

Stop proposing and start acting, then.

> > Same for fostering our third-party developer? If you went to the forum
> > from time to time, you would see that the libVLC section has a lot of
> > discussion. And as you might have seen, I have spent weeks of work to do
> > the relicensing.
>
> The association does a really good job with the administrative stuff,
> with carrying out the relicensing for example. It might just be me but I
> wish it was clearer where the licensing of the modules is going. Also,

Once again, it was explained at the VDD, on the sunday morning, after a
suggestion from Sam, an idea from Rémi and a suggestion by Pierre.

> we can't even agree among ourselves about the point of the lua API,
> features get removed and we have to put them back in a rush because
> we're not sure what we want to do with the API functions. We have a

This is a technical matter and has nothing to do with the non-profit.

> crappy website for lua scripts, I don't even know where it comes from,
> and it's hardly advertised on the website. I fondly remember you saying

Sure, because none took the time to maintain our skin/extension website.
This is PHP and not even hard code. Why did you not do something?
Moreover, the addons website has an API, a standard at fd.o and 2
libraries to access them. Did you try to integrate those inside VLC?

> at past VDDs that an extension ecosystem is a killer feature, but
> then...

So what? Yes, I think so and I still think so.
See above remark.

> like enough. Talking about problems and giving your opinion, even just
> showing that you care, is not hard.

Did you ask people their opinion? Did you take your phone and asked to
people?
Because, if you did, you would have seen that many people expressed
themselves and a lot of them are disgusted by the childness of the
matter. Even on the public IRC channel more than 4 people express
themselves.

> > You are unfair and not respectful to other people work. And noone has
> > blocked anyone to help and propose anything.
>
> I don't mean for you to take it so personally. But are you saying that
> proposing something is enough?

No. But I am bored of you complaining and not doing anything.

> Sorry, my mistake then, that's just my impression.

Then come at the meetings.

> > And, as you perfectly know, VideoLAN did not publish the application,
> > because of this gray area.
>
> You think I perfectly know? Apparently I don't actually know. And that's
> my point: I don't know because the most I heard about it before it
> started was reading a line or two from you on IRC about gray area, and
> I had to infer the rest.

Same remarks, come at the meetings or ask precise questions if you do
not understand. You cannot expect us to ask you everytime if all is well
and if you have understood the point.

> > > In other words... you've kept people holding their breaths for more
> > > than
> >
> > Absolutely noone blocked you from doing anything.
>
> Uuuh I think I did all I could. It didn't depend on me.

I clearly disagree.

> > I therefore advise you to request the non-profit organisation to get
> > rid of me. You can do that at next meeting.
>
> Yes, I victimize too. Let's victimize and be sad together :'(

I do not victimize.

Best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf