[vlc-devel] memcpy

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat May 5 21:56:26 CEST 2012

Le samedi 5 mai 2012 21:21:22 Rafaël Carré, vous avez écrit :
> Therefore it would make sense to only use that memcpy on Windows, and
> maybe import glibc memcpy() since it seems to be better.

I have been advocating complete removal of memcpy() optimizations already some
time ago. It was not like that ten years ago, but nowadays glibc is better
than VideoLAN at tracking new SIMD instruction sets. Furthermore gcc provides
a mechanism for run-time CPU-dependent functions. glibc can use that, but VLC
not since it is non-standard.

> Since I don't have old MMX only CPU, perhaps it would make sense to
> leave fast_memcpy for i386 (and Windows), and always use memcpy() on
> x86_64 ?

I don't see how that's specific to 64-bits.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis