[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] macosx: run on first thread directly, like already done by Qt4

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed May 9 11:48:39 CEST 2012

   Hello,

On Wed, 9 May 2012 11:08:38 +0200, Felix Paul Kühne
<fkuehne.videolan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> vlc | branch: master | Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> | Mon May
>> 7 19:57:10 2012 +0300| [a11c642f29bf4f163551d2aece30ff01b329321c] |
>> committer: Rémi Denis-Courmont
>>
>> macosx: run on first thread directly, like already done by Qt4
>
> even though your newly committed code looks quite familiar and similar
> the existing one, it breaks the execution on OS X.

>From my perspective, execution never worked correctly on MacOS. So I
cannot have broken something that was already broken.

libvlc_add_intf() is not allowed to block as per design and documentation.
The MacOS UI does block it. Consequently, just about every time a change is
made in the VLC initialization sequence, MacOS breaks. This just yet
another occurence.

Not only does that break LibVLC, but it breaks QuickTime capture, POSIX
signal handling, automatic playlist startup, running VLC headless, clean
exit, and what else am I not aware of.

> The Cocoa main thread fails to initialize, so the Mac interface is never
being
> displayed.

Probably something is missing or badly ordered between Open() and Run(). I
will not look at it because I have no time, no expertise, no hardware and
no interest in doing so.

> If desired, I can demonstrate you the issue on jones.

Not me, thanks.

Sent from my collocated server