[vlc-devel] Plugins for removal

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed May 9 22:34:56 CEST 2012

Le mercredi 9 mai 2012 21:16:28 Laurent Aimar, vous avez écrit :
> On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 07:43:34PM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > lirc (Linux Infrared Control)
> > - buggy: misuses the hotkey subsystem,
> > - outdated? (kernel delivers RC events via input subsystem now).
>
>  It was working fine last time I checked (a few months back). I don't think
> that using the hotkey system is a bad thing, it allows to easily map
> remote key to a local key (unless you talk about issue with the code
> itself?).

I'm a bit concerned that it's using the action names. IMHO, that's internal to
the hotkey subsystem.

But mainly, I think (not so) recent kernels support remote IR controllers as
normal input devices, thanks to the work of linux-media folks. Then I don't
really see the point in having a dedicated interface. Concretely, the
globalhotkeys interface should already be able to deal with remotes, and
setting it up is much easier than LIRC.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis