[vlc-devel] [RFC] Get delta of last and first picture in a picture_fifo.

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu May 10 22:16:01 CEST 2012

Le jeudi 10 mai 2012 23:04:31 Laurent Aimar, vous avez écrit :
>  If you prefer the time limit, then it is simpler/faster IMHO
> to use picture_fifo_Peek() and check the limit before pushing
> into the pool (picture_fifo_Peek does a safe hold() for you).

I think keeping only one picture should be enough, and far simpler. If there
is still one queued picture when the next comes, the system is probably
overflowed already. Effectively, that's two pictures queued (one being written
and one waiting). VLC should not try to reinvent the disk cache of the
operating system; we'd only get a square wheel.

scene is intrinsically unreliable. For proper extraction of snapshots from a
video, stream output should be used, not (real-time) video filtering in front
of a video output.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis