[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] single instance: Avoid initializing twice because of dbus activation

Mirsal Ennaime mirsal at videolan.org
Sun May 13 07:24:16 CEST 2012

On Sat, 2012-05-12 at 23:34 +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le samedi 12 mai 2012 23:14:44 Mirsal Ennaime, vous avez écrit :
> > I don't think avoiding a call to dbus_name_has_owner() is worth being
> > incompatible with dbus activation, which is a nice feature.
>
> I don't see much use for VLC activation if even VLC does not use it.
>
> But this is hardly relevant. The old logic was flawed, and the new logic is
> just as flawed, even if slightly more efficient. To check if an instance
> already exists, VLC shall simply try to register the name (without override
> flags).

I disagree, registering the well-known name here would serve no useful
purpose other than checking if another instance is running, it takes as
much time if not more and it is subject to the exact same limitations.
On top of that, there would be no sane way to answer incoming calls over
this connection.

Regards,

--
mirsal