[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] single instance: Avoid initializing twice because of dbus activation

mirsal mirsal at mirsal.fr
Sun May 13 22:42:59 CEST 2012

On Sun, 2012-05-13 at 10:26 +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le dimanche 13 mai 2012 08:24:16 Mirsal Ennaime, vous avez écrit :
> > I disagree, registering the well-known name here would serve no useful
> > purpose other than checking if another instance is running,
>
> You are totally missing the point of name registration.
> You are wrong.

I do get dbus name registration very well. As the dbus control module
and the libvlc initialization sequence do not share the same dbus
connection because dbus's session management is not thread safe, they
are to be considered as separate entities on the bus.
Bus names have the scope of a single dbus connection, they are not not
per-process.

> > it takes as
> > much time if not more and it is subject to the exact same limitations.
>
> That's patently untrue. The name will be have to be registered anyway. This
> actually saves time.

It will have to be registered on a separate, private connection. Only
the control module can answer incoming calls for which the well-known
name is set as a destination, so we can't register it elsewhere unless
there is a way to pass the dbus connection to the control module.

This is probably where lies our misunderstanding, is there a way to use
the same dbus connection for both the single instance mode and the dbus
control module ?

Best regards,

--
mirsal