[vlc-devel] [RFC] Removing postproc

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Oct 1 18:44:27 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 06:00:29PM +0200, Rafaël Carré wrote:
> Le 01/10/2012 17:53, Rémi Denis-Courmont a écrit :
> > 	Hello,
> >
> > The FFmpeg/libav developpers were begging for us to drop libpostproc, which
> > they deprecated a long time ago.

This is not true

> I believe we should do so.
>
> I tried hard to see the effect of postproc using good and bad videos,
> but never succeeded.

Then theres somthing buggy because the effect is quite vissible.
for example try:
./ffmpeg -i tests/lena.pnm -q:v 16 lowbitrate.avi

and
./ffplay lowbitrate.avi -vf mp=pp=de/fq:16
vs.
./ffplay lowbitrate.avi

or you can look at my few years old comparission:
http://guru.multimedia.cx/pp-vs-spp-filters/

Also note that pp is much faster than spp or uspp

[...]

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch