[vlc-devel] [PATCH] libvlc: add language and frame rate to libvlc_media_track_info_t
remi at remlab.net
Tue Oct 9 17:45:46 CEST 2012
On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 17:17:22 +0200, Felix Paul Kühne
<fkuehne.videolan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2012, at 4:49 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 16:34:03 +0200, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>
>>> From: Sébastien Toque <xilasz at gmail.com>
>> Changing the size of libvlc_media_track_info_t is not allowed, since it
>> breaks binary compatibility.
> Isn't this acceptable for major releases such as 2.1?
Sure. There are several conditions though:
- You bring an important new feature or a major design fox.
- You update the binary version numbers as appropriate (I do not even know
how to do that except on Linux).
- You remove all the legacy LibVLC stuff that was only left for backward
- You update the documentation.
- You take adequate measures to avoid the same problem occurring again
with the same family of functions (i.e. next time some bit of track info is
I think the patch fails every one of the above.
> I mean, x264's ABI breaks all the time, too…
On Linux, you can bump the SONAME version. On Windows, we avoid the
problem by linking statically.
Sent from my collocated server
More information about the vlc-devel