[vlc-devel] FYI: New RTP payload formats now implemented by the LIVE555 libraries, and thus available to VLC

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Oct 23 09:05:13 CEST 2012

>> Recent versions of the LIVE555 library support receiving some RTP
> payload
>> formats that the interface code doesn't yet check for.  If VLC supports
>> these codecs, then - with a small upgrade to the interface code - it
> would
>> automatically be able to handle these payload formats:
>> 	- VP8 (video)
>> 	- VORBIS (audio)
>> 	- OPUS (audio)
>
> Is there any reason why Vorbis audio was merged and Theora video not? The
> payload formats are very similar, IIRC.

It's just that I haven't (yet) gotten around to implementing the RTP payload format for Theora video.  You're correct, though - it should be straightforward to implement.  (I ended up implementing VP8 video and Vorbis audio because those are the codecs used in ".webm" files, which (along with ".mkv" files) LIVE555 servers can now demultiplex and stream.)

But if the person responsible for VLC's LIVE555 interface code ("live555.cpp") were to check for a 'codec name' of "THEORA" (along with "VP8", "VORBIS", and "OPUS"), and use the corresponding 'VLC_FOURCC' for each, then VLC will automatically handle Theora/RTP streams once I upgrade the LIVE555 library to support it.

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.
http://www.live555.com/