[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Add a new aac audio encoder module based on the fdkaac library. It works correctly up to 5. 1 as the current version of the library has problems with 7.1.

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Oct 26 14:02:57 CEST 2012

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 13:06:23 +0200, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>
wrote:
> Do we need a --enable-nonfree configure option to enable it, just like
> libav/ffmpeg do ?

Unfortunately, there is no reliable way to determine what licence some
underlying library uses. Maybe someone will write an LGPLv2.1
implementation of the fdkaac API someday. Already, our access_smb and
gnutls plugins link against (L)GPLv3 libraries. But the corresponding VLC
source code is (L)GPLv2.1, as is this new AAC encoder. And the DMO and Real
codec plugins link at run-time against closed-source libraries.

It probably makes sense to have enable-nonfree, enable-gpl, enable-lgplv3
in contrib/bootstrap, but I am not so sure about VLC/configure.

> (And we might add a --enable-gpl as well to track which modules are GPL
> and which are LGPL)

At this point, libVLC is useless with only LGPL plugins. Later, maybe.

Sent from my collocated server